At last I have the pictures from the Kool-Aid dying. I didn’t take any pictures during the dying process as I was too afraid I would end up dying the camara.
The method I used was as follows:
- Arrange yarn into required size skeins, remembering to tie in aleast four places or the result will be a beautifully coloured tangleed mess!
- Soak yarn in warm water and vinegar (this helps the dye to bind to the yarn) for 20mins, allow to dry or use when damp.
- Prepare Kool-Aid ( I used one packet with 200ml of water in a pint size plastic beaker).
- Dip required section of yarn into dye, squeeze excess back into beaker or into dish but returning to beaker before next dip. Repeat 2 or 3 times.
- Repeat with different sections of yarn and differetn colours.
- Place yarn in microwavable dish and ‘cook’ for 1 to 3 mins depending on microwave and yarn size.
- Allow to cool
- Once cool wash in mild detergent ( I used my normal wool handwash stuff) and rinse
- Allow to dry
Top Left – Jamaica, Grape Illusion & Tropical Punch
Top Right – Strawberry Kiwi & Grape
Bottom Left – Stawberry Lemonade, Blue Raspberry & Grape
Bottom Right – Jamaica, Tropical Punch & Raspberry Reaction
Aran Weight Yarn (100% wool with polyester twist)
Really sorry but can’t remember what i used for these.